Inspections / Construction

Janelle Acchione

Janelle Acchione
Inspections/Code Enforcement Department Head

The Building Department is responsible for all construction within the Township and for enforcement of the NJ Uniform Construction Code. It is Lakewood's desire to insure that all of its citizens are protected to the fullest extent by these codes. Whether you are purchasing or building a new home or remodeling your existing home, our department is here to answer your questions and assist in any way we can. Prior to beginning any home improvement project, please check with us to see what permits are required.


Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy when selling my home?
No, but you do need a Smoke Certificate. Contact Housing at x.5603 or download the form.
What do I need to bring in to apply for a Rental Certificate of Occupancy?
The owner or the agent on file should bring in the application, ID, a valid lease, and the $65 fee. If the owner resides outside of New Jersey, an agent must be assigned and the Owner's Affidavit must be signed and notarized in the state that the owner lives in.
What should I do if I receive an inspection ticket or violation in the mail?
Contact the official that issued the ticket or violation prior to the date of compliance, and they will be able to assist you in this matter.
How do I schedule an inspection?
Call 732-364-3760 and the extension of the inspector needed, or fax a request to 732-905-8112. Make sure block/lot, permit number, address and contact information is included on the request form.
How long is my permit good for?
Construction Permit must begin within one year of the permit issue date. Once the work begins, the permit expires if the work is abandoned for a period of more than six months.
Can I prepare my own plans?
The Uniform Construction Code allows a homeowner to prepare his or her own plans for construction, addition, reconstruction, alteration, renovation, or repair of a single family residence intended to be used exclusively as his or her private residence. For all other plans, including other residential uses and all non-residential work, the seal and signature of the registered architect or licensed engineer who prepares the plans shall be affixed to each sheet of each copy of the plans submitted. A contractor, property owner, or tenant cannot prepare plans for a rental property, multi family dwelling unit, a non-residential use, or any commercial business. Only a design professional (architect or engineer) may prepare plans for these uses. EXCEPTION: in a class III structure, a NJ Licensed Electrician or NJ Licensed Master Plumber may design and submit plans for electrical and plumbing installations.

The Inspections / Construction

212 4th Street
Lakewood, NJ 08701
Hours: 8 AM - 4:15 PM
Note: If this is an OPRA request it must be sent to the Township Clerk