Jeffrey W. Staiger, P.E., P.P., C.M.E.
Township Engineer

The Engineering department performs engineering inspections during the construction phase of the project. The Engineering department also manages performance and maintenance guarantees for approved projects, as well as certificate of occupancy recommendations upon completion of construction.


What is an easement?
A right to cross or otherwise use someone else's land for a specified purpose. (shade tree, utilities, etc.) Easements can be searched using the Ocean County website listed under our links section.
How can I determine what flood zone I am in? Where do I obtain a Flood Elevation Certificate?
Flood maps are regulated by the Federal Government. To obtain a current flood elevation certificate, you must hire a private surveyor to prepare the certificate and submit it to FEMA for approval. You can view flood maps by visiting the FEMA website:
Where can I find a copy of my property survey?
Generally, property surveys are private documents that are not maintained by the Township. However, the Town may have a survey on file from the time that a construction permit application or a Board application was filed.
What is the approval process in order to open a roadway which is under a moratorium? (utility work)
Who do I contact to have a street paved?
The Engineering Department receives direction from the Township Committee as to which streets will be paved.
What is a right-of-way?
The land and space required on the surface, subsurface and overhead for the construction and installation of materials necessary to provide passageway for vehicular traffic, pedestrians, utility lines, poles, conduits and mains, signs, hydrants, trees and shrubbery. A road opening permit is required to do any work within the right-of-way.
Who do I contact about broken sidewalk in front of my house?
It is the responsibility of the homeowner to fix broken sidewalks. Please submit a road opening permit with this office prior to any work being done. The form is located under the downloads section.
How do I determine if property may contain wetlands?
Wetlands are governed by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. All definitive information on wetlands, wetlands buffers, and permitting to disturb the wetlands are governed by them. The State does offer an online map indicating areas of known wetlands, which can be found at No one can be sure if an area is wetlands without gathering detailed information about the site and inspecting the property. For a definite determination, you may need to hire an environmental consultant. Here are some clues that an area might be a wetland. If your land has any of the conditions below, you should investigate before going ahead with a project: The area often has standing water; The area is a low spot that holds water for several days after a heavy rain; The water table in the area is not far below the ground surface; Your land contains a stream or pond, with gentle banks (you may have a fringe of wetlands along the banks); or Your land is located near a river, stream, or lake. Do not assume that an area cannot be a wetland because it has a mature forest on it, or because it does not have standing water. Many wetlands in New Jersey are forested areas without visible standing water.
View all FAQs

The Engineering

212 Fourth Street (Same building as Inspections/Code Enforcement/Zoning Depts)
Lakewood, NJ 08701
732-364-2500 ext 5235
Hours: 8 AM - 4 PM
Note: If this is an OPRA request it must be sent to the Township Clerk