Department of Vital Statistics

Notice: PLEASE NOTE: As the building will be closed to the public, in the event that there is an urgent need to make an application for a marriage license. Applicants should contact the Registrar of Vital Statistics at (732) 364-2500 x5259. Additionally, please note for NJ State residents applications for marriage can be made in the municipality of either spouse.
*** Applications for a Marriage License or for License Issuance is done by Appointment Only***
** The Township does not accept Walk-Ins **
Office of Vital Statistics and Registry registers vital events and maintains the following vital records:
* Birth, marriage and death records starting at 1918
* Domestic partnership records starting at 2004
* Civil union records starting at 2007
* Adoptions Foreign and Domestic
* Certificate of Birth Resulting in Stillbirth data starting at 1969

Vital records are also available from Local Vital Records Offices in the municipality where the event occurred.

You may download a Lakewood Township Vital Record:
Application in English HERE
Application in Spanish HERE

For information about vital records from May 1848 through 1917 visit the State, Archives web page. The Archives also holds microfilm copies of births from 1901-1923, marriages from 1901-1940 and deaths from 1901-1940. These materials are available for in-person use only.

Visit the Center for Health Statistics web page for statistical information on vital events in New Jersey.

Visit the National Center for Health Statistics for information on how to request vital records from other states/jurisdictions.

Please note, New Jersey law protects and restricts the release of vital records. Vital records are not public records and cannot be searched online.
Lauren Kirkman
Township Clerk/Registrar

How long after a birth occurs is it filed with the office of vital statistics?

Can vital records be faxed?

Can I call the registrar to verify if a record exists?

Can a person who is eligible to receive certified copies designate someone to obtain a vital record for them?

How do I obtain an Apostille Seal?

What is the quickest way to obtain a certified copy of a vital record?

Where do I obtain a divorce decree?

What is the procedure to correct information on a vital record?

Contact the Department of Vital Statistics
Address 231 Third Street • Municipal Building • Lakewood, NJ 08701
PhonePhone: 732-364-2500 ext 5259 FaxFax: 732-994-4570
HoursHours: 9 AM - 5 PM
Note: If this is an OPRA request it must be sent to the Township Clerk

Please enter the letters or digits that appear in the security image below
CAPTCHA Image   

© 2020 Lakewood Township All Rights Reserved        Website by Duvys Media