Frequently Asked Questions

Code Enforcement

• How long does a permit take?

• What if I do not get a permit?

• Why do I need a construction permit? How does getting a permit benefit me?

• How can I be sure the Inspection Department has an updated address?

Department of Public Works

• How do I add the new Public Works Mobile 3-1-1 to my mobile device's home screen?

• How does bulk trash pickup work?

• Where can I report a streetlight outage?

• What day should I put out my garbage/recycling if there's a holiday?

• On which holidays is there no garbage pickup?

• Where should I place the leaves for pickup?

• When are leaves picked up?

• Can I place my bins at the curb the day before pickup?

• Can I recycle concrete, bricks, or cinder blocks?

• Can I recycle paint cans, chemicals, motor oil or hazardous material?

• Can I recycle metal objects?

• Can I recycle furniture or other wood products?

• Can I recycle car parts?

• Can I recycle tree branches and shrubbery?

• Can I recycle computers and electronics?

• Can I recycle clothing, hand bags, belts and shoes?

• What items can I put in my yellow recycling container?

• What is the recycling and garbage pickup schedule?

Department of Vital Statistics

• How long after a birth occurs is it filed with the office of vital statistics?

• Can vital records be faxed?

• Can I call the registrar to verify if a record exists?

• Can a person who is eligible to receive certified copies designate someone to obtain a vital record for them?

• How do I obtain an Apostille Seal?

• What is the quickest way to obtain a certified copy of a vital record?

• Where do I obtain a divorce decree?

• What is the procedure to correct information on a vital record?

• Where do I apply for a marriage or civil union license?

• When do I apply for a marriage or civil union license?

• What are the application requirements to obtain a marriage or civil union license?

• Is a vital record on file where I live or where the event occurred?

Economic Development

• Who can I speak to about assistance with land development or other large scale project issues?

• What opportunities are there in the Industrial Park for lease or purchase of commercial space?

• What incentives can I get for moving a business to Lakewood?

• LWYW - How do I find out more about the Live Where You Work program and how I can use it?

• How can I qualify and apply for tax abatement on my new building?

Emergency Medical Services

• How do I send in a donation?

• Does the EMS department have a Ride Along Program

• Who do I call if I have a question in regards to a bill received?

• Do I receive a bill, if I am transported to the Hospital?

• How do I become an EMT?

• How can I obtain a career in the EMS department at Lakewood?

Inspections / Construction

• Do I need a Certificate of Occupancy when selling my home?

• What do I need to bring in to apply for a Rental Certificate of Occupancy?

• What should I do if I receive an inspection ticket or violation in the mail?

• How do I schedule an inspection?

• How long is my permit good for?

• Can I prepare my own plans?

Municipal Court

• Is a court date a trial date?

• What is warrant and bail?

• What if I cannot afford an attorney?

• What are the methods of payment?

• How do I contact the prosecutor?

• What if I fail to appear in court?

Planning / Engineering

• What is an easement?

• How can I determine what flood zone I am in? Where do I obtain a Flood Elevation Certificate?

• Where can I find a copy of my property survey?

• What is the approval process in order to open a roadway which is under a moratorium? (utility work)

• I would like the my street to be paved, who should I contact?

• What is a right-of-way?

• Who do I contact about broken sidewalk in front of my house?

• How do I determine if property may contain wetlands?

• Change of Use/Site Plan Exemption vs Site Plan

• What is a site plan?

• What is a minor subdivision?

• What is a major subdivision?

• What is a variance?

• What is zoning?

• What is an ordinance?

• What is a resolution?

• What is a waiver?

• What is a plot plan?

• What is an as built?

Police Department

• How do I apply for a temporary handicap placard?

• Who do I contact if I feel there is an error in a police report?

• I am hosting an event and would like to hire an off duty officer to assist with traffic control.

• Does LPD fax or email accident reports?

• Where do I obtain a copy of my accident report?

• Is there any fee associated with obtaining a copy of an accident report?

• How do I go about retrieving personal belongings from my vehicle that has been impounded?

• My car was impounded for expired registration/insurance. How do I go about getting it released?

• I had a very good experience with an officer and would like to compliment him. Is there a form to submit?

• I had an unpleasant experience with an officer and would like to file a complaint. Is there a form to submit?

Tax Assessor

• When will I be notified of my property value?

• How can I file for an appeal?

• When is the deadline to file an appeal?

• Can properties be tax exempt or tax deductions?

• What should I know before I file an appeal?

Tax Collector

• How do I change my name and address for tax records?

• How are my taxes calculated?

• What is the Tax Sale?

• How can I apply for the tax relief programs?

• When are taxes due?

• How is interest calculated and charged?

Township Clerk

• Where can I find Lakewood Township's Unified Development Ordinance (UDO)?

• What is the Open Public Records Act (OPRA)?

• Where can I get information about a Liquor License?

• Where can I get the application for a raffle or bingo license?

• Where can I get a passport?

• What do I have to do to get a peddler's license?

• How do I get a dog license?

• What is the Township Clerk's email?

• Where are the voting/polling districts?

• How do I register to vote?

• How do I open a taxi business?

Urban Enterprise Zone

• What is an Urban Enterprise Zone, and how do I register to become an Urban Enterprise Zone business?

• How do I start a business?

• How do I find out about the upcoming business seminars?


• What is the fee for a zoning permit?

• How can I find out the zone my property is located in?

• Is zoning approval required prior to applying for a construction permit?

• Do I need a permit for pavers or concrete patio?

• Do I need a permit for a shed?

• Do I need a permit for a fence?

© 2020 Lakewood Township All Rights Reserved        Website by Duvys Media